Monday, March 30, 2015

Healthy Chili Cheese Fries

When you think of healthy food, what do you think of? Lettuce, carrots, tomatoes & Chili Cheese Fries. Wait. WHAT?! 

Ok, so you may not have actually thought of Chili Cheese Fries. But I bet you will now!


Disclaimer: I generally don't follow actual recipes (& if I do I always change them), so just use approximations (with the exception of the 21 Day Fix Extreme Turkey Chili) & adjust accordingly. 

*21 Day Fix container counts will follow below the recipe*


• 21 Day Fix Extreme Turkey Chili:

• 1tsp olive oil
• 1.5lbs raw 93% lean ground turkey
• 1 medium onion, chopped
• 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
• 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
• 1.5tsp ground cumin
• 1Tbsp chili powder
• 1/2tsp sea salt
• 1/4tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
• 2-15oz. cans black or pinto beans, drained & rinsed
•  1-15oz. can all natural diced tomatoes, no sugar added
• 12 fresh cilantro sprigs, finely chopped (for garnish; optional)

- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add turkey, onion, bell pepper, and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5-8 minutes, or until turkey is no longer pink. 
- Add cumin, chili powder, salt & cayenne pepper; cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Add beans & tomatoes (with liquid). Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; gently boil, stirring occasionally, for 15-20 minutes, or until thickened. 
- Serve sprinkled with cilantro. 

• Roasted Oven Potatoes:

• potatoes, scrubbed clean & cut into fries
• paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper & sea salt
• extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)

- Preheat oven to 450º. 
- In a large glass baking dish, toss potatoes with seasonings & a splash of EVOO. 
- Bake for 25-40 minutes (depending on the thickness of your fries), flipping occasionally, until done. 


• shredded cheddar cheese
• diced green onions, optional


To Assemble:

- C'mon now! You know how to put together Chili Cheese Fries... 
- Fries. 
- Chili. 
- Cheese. 
- Melt it all together. 
- Top with diced green onion (if using). 
- Eat & be amazed that it's HEALTHY! 


*21 Day Fix container count: 2 yellow (for the fries), .5 green, 1 red, .5 yellow (for the chili - 1C. serving size) & 1 blue (for the cheese).

23 comments:

  1. I definitely have to try these. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE chili cheese fries, but not all the calories that come with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw the word healthy and wondered how chili cheese fries can be called that but noticed you used turkey which does make it a bit more healthy. I might have to make this for dinner one night. I know the kids would love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this looks very yummy. But I do love anything with melted cheese on it, and I ove cheese fries!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loks so yummy! I'm struggling with my diet and love finding new healthy ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy recipe and image! This is a savory saver for me - it had the healthy bit going on with each ingredient - thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks like a great recipe. I like how you used ground turkey instead, that is a great healthy option.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! This looks incredible. I would love to try this, it looks super tasty! Looks so good and my kids would even love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks really good! There's nothing like a good chili cheese fry!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks so delicious. I will definitely make these this weekend. I am sure my kids will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those look like a really delicious meal. I would love to try these chili cheese fries. Amber N

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love chili. I love fries. I love this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh these sound fantastic! I love everything you put in this recipe. It looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't eat chili cheese fries because of all the grease, but these I think I could manage without a tummy ache! They sound super tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great recipe. I like hearing about new recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love chili cheese fries. It is great to see that there are healthier recipe alternatives so we can continue to enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh man, chili cheese fries are my weakness! I need to try these stat!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is so awesome, I love chili cheese fries with a passion and a healthy option sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love chili cheese fries. They are one weakness. Thank you for this healthy recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks amazing. I like that you used ground Turkey, it is a healthier than beef

    ReplyDelete
  20. These kinds of recipes are hearty and filling. This is just what I like to give the family for an appetizer, and I love your variation on it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This looks very yummy and delicious! My husband love chilli fries. I would like to try this for him. Thanks a lot for sharing this great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  22. that looks great! It nice to have a great dish and still be healthy about it

    ReplyDelete
  23. I try to substitute ground turkey as much as possible. These fries look so good!

    ReplyDelete