Friday, March 20, 2015

Spaghetti Squash with Homemade Arribbiata Sauce

I'm not sure why in the world it took me so incredibly long to try spaghetti squash. I mean, the stuff is pretty amazing! But the best part, is that it's a vegetable & not a carb. I know that's not a newsflash or anything, but coming from a girl who adores her pasta, I found that I actually liked it more than traditional spaghetti noodles. And that says a lot! 

Of course if I was going to be making my own spaghetti squash, then a Homemade Arribbiata Sauce would be the perfect thing to top it with. 




Disclaimer: I generally don't follow actual recipes (& if I do I always change them), so just use approximations & adjust accordingly. 

*21 Day Fix container counts will follow below the recipe*

Ingredients:

• spaghetti squash
• extra virgin olive oil
• sea salt & black pepper
• whole tomatoes
• fresh basil
• garlic cloves, peeled
• 1/4-1/2C. water, if desired
• cayenne pepper, just a pinch
• Stevia
• garlic powder

Directions: 

For the Spaghetti Squash:

• Using a sharp knife, cut off the top or bottom of the squash so that it will stand flat and secure on your cutting board.
• Slice the squash in half lengthwise.
• Using a spoon, scrape out the seeds.
• Heat oven to 375ยบ.
• Brush the inside of each half with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt and ground black pepper.
• Place cut-sides down on a baking sheet.
• Bake for 45-60 minutes, or until you can easily pierce the squash with a fork. (This is where you start the Arribbiata Sauce.)
•Let cool for 15 minutes, or until squash is cool enough to handle, before using a fork to scrape out the spaghetti-like strands. 

For the Homemade Arribbiata Sauce: 

• In a large pot, combine whole tomatoes (I used fresh but you can use canned if you'd like, just cut back on your simmer time), fresh basil, garlic cloves, olive oil & water if desired (although not necessary).
• Allow to simmer, covered, for one hour.
• Remove the pot from the heat & allow to cool slightly.
• Working in batches, use a food processor or a blender to puree the tomato mixture into a sauce, adding the cayenne pepper during the last batch.
• Transfer sauce back into the large pot & bring to a low boil.
• Add stevia, garlic powder, salt & pepper (and even more cayenne pepper if desired) to give yourself a slightly sweet but spicy Arribbiata Sauce.


To serve, simply top spaghetti squash with Homemade Arribbiata Sauce & sprinkle with shredded Parmesan cheese if desired. 

*21 Day Fix container count: 1-2 green (for the spaghetti squash), .5-1 purple (for the sauce) & .5-1 blue (for shredded Parmesan, if using).

19 comments:

  1. I just discovered spaghetti squash recently and I love it. What a delicious dinner this is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I haven't ever tried anything like this but it looks so good! I will have to try it for a date night with my hubby... I don't think my kids would go for this but we sure would!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well you beat me to it. I still haven't tried it. Yummy recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds really good. I have never tried this. Will have to give it a shot. Amber N

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love spaghetti squash. I have never had it with Arabiata sauce before. It looks amazing

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love spaghetti squash. This sounds really good, I may have to make it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks delicious! I love spaghetti squash, and am getting hungry just looking at it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never had spaghetti squash before. Looking over the rest of the ingredient list, it does sound like something my whole family would enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have tried spaghetti squash before and really enjoyed it. I think yours looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Spaghetti squash is amazing, I really love this recipe a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yes! Love spaghetti squash! It's so yummy, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have tried but can't git into spaghetti squash. I prefer zoodles :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. great paleo option, yummy and delicious looking.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am such a fan of spaghetti squash. Your sauce looks so delicious and flavorful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'd definitely try this dish. You've got me thinking now... I might make something similar for our changed weekend plans.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love spaghetti squash. It's so yummy. I've never heard of an Arribiatta Sauce. I'll have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks so delicious. I love to cook with spaghetti squash. I will have to try this recipe this week.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This sounds really yummy! It is making me really hungry

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks yummy and delicious! I have not tasted this before. But it looks awesome and sounds like a great combination with this Arribbiata sauce. Will have to try this for sure. Thanks a lot for sharing this recipe.

    ReplyDelete