Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Healthy Mexican Pizza *Taco Bell Copycat Recipe*

I have so many recipes to share with you all, but I thought I'd share this one first since I've had quite a few people ask me about it. 


Yes!!! A Taco Bell Copycat recipe of one of my favorites - Mexican Pizza! OK, so it's not as convenient as going through the drive-thru of Taco Bell, but it's far healthier & it really doesn't take that much time at all to make one for yourself at home. Especially if you just happen to have the meat already in the refrigerator from the night before. Yep, this was a total leftover meal on top of it all! *High five!*

Disclaimer: I generally don't follow actual recipes (& if I do I always change them), so just use approximations & adjust accordingly. 

*21 Day Fix container counts will follow below the recipe*


Ingredients:

• whole wheat tortillas
• lean ground beef, seasoned with Smokey Southwest seasoning blend 
• nonfat refried beans
• shredded cheddar cheese
• diced tomatoes
• Mexican hot sauce
• green onion, diced 
• Plain Greek yogurt (Chobani, preferably) 
• Pico de Gallo or diced green peppers & white or red onion, diced (if desired)

Directions:

• Place the tortillas on a cookie sheet & place in a preheated 375º oven until slightly golden on both sides, about 5 minutes, flipping halfway through.
• On one tortilla, lightly drizzle hot sauce, then top with refried beans & seasoned lean ground beef. 
• On the other tortilla, top with shredded cheddar cheese & diced tomatoes. 
• Return tortillas to the oven, until the cheese is melted. 
• To assemble, place cheese & tomato topped tortilla onto the other, pressing down slightly before cutting into 4 pieces. 
• Top with a dollop of plain Greek yogurt & Pico de Gallo if desired. 

*21 Day Fix container count: 2.5 yellow (.5 for the nonfat refried beans), 1 red, 1 blue, .5 green (.5 purple if using Pico de Gallo).

22 comments:

  1. I am always looking for ways to cut down on calories! Plus we LOVE Mexican food, so this is a win/win!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to have to try this for my Granddaughter. She loves Taco Bell. She is actually coming to my house later today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love pizza and I love healthy! This looks and sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like a nice treat. Your photograph is making me hungry. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That actually sounds really nice. I'd love to make this with my daughter. I know we would add some hot peppers too though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks really good! I love Mexican food - yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! This looks great. We love pizzas so what's not to love here? We need to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love anything tex mex. I will have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks so yummy! I love Taco Bell but I hate knowing how unhealthy it is.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks really good. My husband and son love Mexican food. I can't wait to try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Mexican pizza! This looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks so good, a Mexican pizza sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. that looks so yummy! I would love to dig my teeth into that

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks really good. We're always looking out for quick weeknight meals. Thanks for including the 21 day fix equivalents....I started it yesterday so it's handy to have the measurements.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats April! You're going to LOVE the program. Are you working with a coach at all? Because they're great to have, especially during that first week.

      Delete
  15. That's a great variation on the mexican pizza to make for the fam. I think my teen would love this one most of all.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yuum looks like a great after school snack! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This Mexican pizza looks delicious. I love that you used whole wheat tortilla

    ReplyDelete
  18. These tacos look so tasty and delicious. I would love to make these at home.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks wonderful, Melissa - thank you for sharing the great recipe - it's another savory saver! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh wow - I love how this was dne and it's not heavy too - perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks so delicious! I really love pizzas. This recipe looks like an easy to make and a healthy one as well. Will definitely try this for sure. Thanks a lot for sharing this yummy recipe.

    ReplyDelete